Monday, September 27, 2010

Get your name out there!

Networking. Easy concept right? Of course it is! This whole time of being in Chicago, it's been a GREAT time just to meet people because there are so many opportunities out there! Living in central Illinois, I never had an idea of HOW to get my name out in a positive way. There were opportunities, but they were limited because of how small Cuba (and Galesburg) is.

Before I get into what I have actually done, being here in the Business and Entrepreneurship program has given me enormous opportunities just to connect with people I would have never thought possible. Everything is about making a genuine connection with someone and finding some common ground to establish a friendship or relationship.

My personal belief is that one must ALWAYS be on top of their "game". I view networking as an extremely effective tool in creating a personal as well as professional connection with someone. Every field of profession can benefit from networking and is a simple way to stay connected with your colleagues. Establishing a network of professionals with the same career aspirations/goals is a great way to get advice into the industries. Period.

I prefer using the concept of "connecting" instead of the idea of "networking". Connecting with people has a much more personal and human feel to it. I believe this is a much better way to establish relationships between people. You must be able to find some common ground to connect with and be most importantly, to be GENUINE. The ability to connect with people as well as maintain those relationships is a skill that one must be constantly working on to improve.

In terms of networking in a professional field, exposure is one of the most challenging things to overcome (for most). For example, networking (in the right way) with many people will always prove to be fruitful. Also, pursuing the right types of networks will improve the “success” of that networking. A great example of this would be to connect with professors, friends, classmates from college, high school, grad school, etc. An important distinction to be made between business networking and social networking (LinkedIn vs Facebook) is that you will have a personal life and then a professional life. Of course there is some overlap between the two concepts, so finding the perfect medium between the two is key.

In the networking field, being shy or timid is one of the biggest obstacles for people to overcome. Being sociable MIGHT not be someone's strong traits, so practicing these skills to overcome them are going to be necessary. I luckily have not had that problem. Being a go-getter in regards to networking is one of the strongest qualities I possess. Attending networking events has been one of the greatest aspects of being here in Chicago. There are so many opportunities to get your name out, so why should you sit back and wait for people to approach you?? MOST people enjoy giving guidance to others, so the only obstacle is finding them. Asking for help or guidance in the professional field is not a sign of weakness and is sometimes how people feel. I think that is ridiculous. In this (student) stage of our life, learning from “elders” within specific fields is a sign of maturity and knowing that “you don't know” will open up doors you never would have known to exist.

During this past summer interning at Country Financial, I have been able to really broaden my network in the professional field. Most of the agents I have worked with are Knox College graduates and I can not stress how easily it is to network with alumni from your respective colleges. Using the resources you have available to you is one of the easiest ways to get help and guidance. Since being here, the Knox College connections have been invaluable. I have already been interviewed for jobs because of the recommendations I have received from these connections. Also, if you want to meet with someone to learn from them, then go do it! Pursuing someone about an interview or meeting will give you a great image of being proactive in your professional career. As an article I recently read, more than half of job openings are not advertised, so establishing connections and relationships BEFORE a company is hiring will give you a competitive advantage over other applicants for that job.

One last point I want to make is that networking is also two-sided. What I mean is that being a resource for others seeking information/jobs is one of the (I think) most rewarding aspects of establishing relationships and connections. This summer while I had been working at Country Financial, one of our company clients for our 401(k) plans was Advanced Rehab (physical rehabilitation company). As a friend and a trusted business partner, he was searching for a part-time student employee for this school year and would be looking to gain some insight to the physical rehabilitation field. It just so happens that one of my good friends is looking to become a physical trainer and I became that resource for my friend. What I am trying to say is that in establishing connections, you must have a give-and-take mindset where you're willing to help as well as receive help.

Now, it's all about YOU and how you make/maintain those connections. GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment